UConn's strides in higher education stretch throughout the state of Connecticut and beyond.
- For 12 years running, UConn has been rated by U.S. News & World Report as the #1 public university in New England – and today also ranks among the top 30 public universities in the nation.
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranks UConn among the top 35 best values in public colleges nationally and #1 in New England. Kiplinger’s bases its rankings "on a combination of outstanding academic quality plus an affordable price tag."
- The University of Connecticut has been elected to membership in Universitas 21, an international network of leading research-intensive universities in 13 countries. UConn is only the second U.S. university invited into the network, which comprises some of the world’s major institutions of higher education.
- The Neag School of Education is not only ranked the top public graduate school of education in the Northeast and on the East Coast by U.S. News & World Report; it is now also ranked #31 among the 278 private and public education schools surveyed. Elementary education and special education rank among the nation’s top 20.
- The National Academy of Kinesiology ranks the Neag School of Education’s doctoral program in kinesiology #1 in the nation.
- UConn's Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program is ranked 29th in the country out of 101 programs in U.S. News & World Report America's Best Graduate Schools 2010 Edition.
- According to the National Research Council, the French program in the Department of Modern and Classical Languages in UConn’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences ranks among the best in the nation, ranking #1 in the country in such categories as student placement and scholarly productivity. In addition, the program is one of only 16 in the nation selected by the French government as a “centre pluridisciplinaire.”
- BusinessWeek ranks UConn’s School of Business in the top 35 among all among public business schools in the U.S. The School’s real estate specialty is ranked at #9 by U.S. News & World Report.
- UConn’s psychology researchers are ranked 2nd in the nation by the National Science Foundation for federal research funding.
- UConn’s Master of Public Administration program is ranked 49th in the country by U.S. News & World Report, and its public finance and budgeting program is ranked 7th in the nation.
- UConn ranks 5th among 58 public research universities nationally in average time to graduate (4.2 years) among students earning a bachelor’s degree in six years or less.
- For 9 years running, UConn’s undergraduate program has been rated in the top 10 in the country among public national universities by U.S. News & World Report for our graduation rate performance, a measure of institutions enhancing student achievement.
- U.S. News & World Report ranks our undergraduate business program 24th among public national universities. Our business school’s Real Estate program ranks in the Top 10 among public and private national universities.
- UConn's graduate program in history is ranked in the top 30 public university programs by U.S. News & World Report as are our medical school’s Research and Primary Care programs.
- Phds.org ranks the doctoral program of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources’ Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics as #16 in the nation among small and prestigious programs and #11 for placement of graduates.
- Payscale.com Public College Salary Report ranks UConn in the top 35 for both average starting and mid-career salary of our alumni.
- The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has named UConn one of 115 institutions to earn the organization’s prestigious elective “Community Engagement” classification for its ongoing commitment to public engagement and service to the community.
- The Sierra Club, an international environmental advocacy organization, ranks UConn among the top 50 ‘coolest schools’ in the country, based on environmental initiatives. The Sustainable Endowments Institute also named UConn a “Campus Sustainability Leader” on its College Sustainability Report Card 2011.
2011 Fact Sheet
Basic information about the University of Connecticut
UConn's impact on Connecticut's economy
The University's founding and early years